Search This Blog

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Olympic Lifting 6-4-08


Had my first session with an Olympic Lifting coach Jeff Sunzeri with The Athletes Congress Olympic Lifting Club in San Jose.  


Went over the basics on the snatch and clean and jerk.  He started me out with a wooden dowel then moved me up to the 45# bar.  For a workout he had me do:

5 sets of 5 reps of 
Hang Power Snatch 20 Kilos (45lbs)
Hang Power Clean 30 Kilos (65lbs)
Squat 50 Kilos (110lbs)

At these weights all of these exercises were very easy.  But it wasn't about pushing the weight, it was about learning good form.  I had all kinds of firsts today.  Did my first Hang Power Snatch, first Hang Power Clean, first time using a York bar, first time using an Eleiko bar and bumper plates, and was the first time using a hook grip!  Wow!  Lots of firsts!

I was encouraged to hear that after a bit of tweaking and coaching he said I had great form for a complete newbie.  Watching Crossfit Videos, Jim Schmitz video, watching Youtube videos, and reading a bunch of articles online has really paid off.  I had a ton of fun doing these.  We were lifting in a Gold's Gym and it was great to see the strange looks on people's faces as they walked by the lifting platform.  Even better were the looks of sheer horror when the other lifters dropped 120 Kilos from overhead and it smashed into the lifting platform with a resounding boom.  For the entire hour I was there, the only 3 lifters using the platform were Sunzeri's lifters.  Not a single other person wanted to use the platform...what a shame.  As Jeff put it, "Those candyasses wouldn't have a clue what to do with a barbell".  hahaha  A coach after my own heart.  I was reminded once again why I don't workout in a globo gym.  I'll take my CrossFit garage gym ANY day of the week.  Now if I only had an Elieko  

No comments: