Search This Blog

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Shoulder Press and Power Clean 6-4-09

Anatoly Grigor'evich Pisarenko - Crazy strong Russian Olympic Weightlifter getting nasty.


Shoulder Press

65 x 7
80 x 5
95 x 5
105 x 3
115 x 1
127.5 x 1 (PR by 2.5lbs)

My PR on the shoulder press has been 125 since 8-22-08.  When you have only been training for a year and a half, to break a 10 month plateau on one of the foundational lifts is rather huge. Even if it is only a 2.5lb improvement.  I couldn't be much happier.  But wait...there is more.  After that PR, I was feeling rather like Leonidas at the Hot Gates ready to do battle with Xerxes and his millions.  I was warming up for my metcon of every minute on the minute for 15 minutes do 2 power cleans with 85% of your single rep max any failed reps and you do 5 burpees during the rest period.  That would have put the weight at 165, but I decided that based on the Norcal Qualifier workout where I did 185lb cleans 26 times in 10 minutes, that 165 wasn't near enough.  So I warmed up to do 185 and in doing so, 185lbs just felt super light.  So on a whim I decided to switch it up and just go after a new one rep max.  Stoooopid right?  Well sometimes you just got to listen to the ol' body.

Power Clean

185 x 1
195 x 1 (previous PR)
200 x 1
215 x 1
225 (f) (f) 1 (30lb PR!) 

195  5 x 2

Are you kidding me??  30lb PR???  Where did that come from?!?  Compare to 195 on 5-9-09 where I had been up for about 19 or 20 hours when I set that PR.  So this time being fresh, I figured I definitely had 200 in me, a good chance for 205...but 225?  The form was not clean by any means.  My feet went super wide, and I caught the weight under the usual rack position at about nipple height.  Yikes.  But the weight went up and I got aggressive with it, slamming myself under the bar, and finishing the lift. . .  So I was Leonidas for the night, minus the beard, blood, guts and Greeks.  I'll take it!!

1 comment:

Dan said...

Fab-tast-erific job amigo! You're going to have to start kicking the ladies off of you... you stud. Or just me. Either way, it's still a compliment, right?