Search This Blog

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Shoulder Press and KB/Sandbag 1-3-09

Shoulder Press

45 x 10
65 x 5
95 x 5
105 x 3
115 x 1
125 x 1
130 (failied twice)
127.5 (failed)

Ughhh.  Was really hoping for a PR in this.  Its so hard for me to improve on my shoulder press.  After 5 weeks of focused work with it and some PR's in the 5 rep range, I was thinking I might hit 130 today.  Nope.  Bar stopped at about my nose and refused to budge.  Attempt at 127.5 was even weaker.  

1 Min max 1.5 Pood one armed Snatch (either arm)  - 24 reps
1 Min max 35lb Sand Bag halfmoons - 21 reps
1 Min max 1.5 Pood one armed Snatch (either arm) - 10 reps
1 Min max 35lb Sand Bag halfmoons - 16 reps
1 Min max 1.5 Pood one armed Snatch (either arm) - 10 reps

See a video of what a Sandbag halfmoon is HERE.

That metcon completely sucked.  I didn't bring it to the gym today.  Emotionally drained and tired from a lack of sleep from being at the hospital for 3 days.  I don't know if it was just a lackluster day or if the movements were too similar, or if the KB weight was too heavy, but I died hard in the second round of snatches and didn't recover.  Thats also the risk when you make up your own WODs.  Its fun, but a bit risky.  I'd like to keep working in some different types of movements like sandbag work and different KB work that isn't your standard mainpage crossfit material.  A little more focused towards MMA fitness that prepares you well for a fight.  Working my grip strength is a good idea.  Some rounded back type work is a good thing.  Training for the real world when you aren't going to be able to use 'proper' form when lifting a 250lb stoopid drunk off the ground in cuffs who is refusing to stand up while drooling chunky barf all over himself with wet piss stains in his pants.  Should probably peruse the crosspit stuff and use some of it.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE all the barbell work, but its good to mix things up.  Its all about the Black Box baby.

No comments: