Search This Blog

Friday, July 25, 2008

Push Jerk and Sledgehammer/K2E's 7-25-08

Went to the Oakland Police Department Academy Graduation to see a buddy of mine graduate.  He graduated Valedictorian of his class and at 21 years old he is the youngest Valedictorian in Oakland Police Department history!  Go Andrew!  You are a stud!  He hits the streets on Tuesday for his first day on patrol.  On the other end of the spectrum was a classmate of Andrew's who is 45 years old and retired from the Army where he was a drill instructor.  He decided he was too bored and so he started his second career by joining OPD.  WOW.  Both men were a good reminder to me to stay fresh and never let complacency take hold in your life.  Always strive for excellence and strive to continue learning.  On to the workout...

Push Jerk 5 sets of 3

115

135

140

145

150

After a 10 min break I did:

63 - 45 - 27 
Sledgehammer Strikes - 10lb Sledge hitting a large tire hard (don't cheat yourself by swinging easy and slacking/resting).  Use full ROM overhead swings, switching every 10 strikes to other hand as the dominant hand (hand on top).
21 - 15 - 9
Knees to Elbows

I did this in the style of Fran where I did 63 sledge strikes followed with 21 K2E's followed by 45 Sledge strikes and 15 K2E's etc, etc.

Finished in 8:33


I was pleased with my Push Jerk numbers today.  Compare it with last week on the 19th at Brand X when I worked out with Jeff Martin, Big Dan and Large Lefty where I did 5 reps with 115, 5 reps with 115, 5 reps with 135, 3 reps with 135, 3 reps with 135.  So this time I put up 15lbs more on my last set.  It was awkward doing them at Brand X but it started to click today.  I wasn't dropping under the bar well at Brand X.  I watched the video on push jerks on the mainsite and it made sense.  I think I may have been able to hit 155, but I'm happy with 150 for today.  Next time I do this I should definitely get more then 150.  Progress with form and progress with putting weight over my head equals a happy Crossfitter.


I broke the K2E's up as 9 - 7 - 5 the first round then 7 - 3 - 5 the second round and 5 - 4 the third round.  All Sledgehammer strikes were unbroken.  I stole the Sledgehammer and K2E's workout from a private session that TMoney did with Jeff Martin at Brand X the other day.  Not only tough on the abs but this was a real forearm burner.  I like that it seem to address 3 areas in one workout:  metcon, abs, and grip strength.  

No comments: