Search This Blog

Saturday, August 2, 2008

20 Rep Squat 8-2-08


I'm back in Virginia for 5 days visiting my cousin Jerrod.  In the AM we did some weighted pullups and dips because I wanted to try out his weight belt.  

Pullups Single Reps

45lbs, 55lbs, 65lbs, 70lbs, 75lbs (chin was just under the bar so...failed)

Dips

45lbs, 50lbs, 57.5lbs (failed), 57.5lbs (failed), 57.5lbs (failed) -  I really wanted to try and get 1/3 of my bodyweight (56lbs) in a weighted dip.  That is the standard for Level 2 - Intermediate athlete on Crossfit North's fitness standards (see a link at near the top right corner of the blog). Oh well, I came real close which is why I tried it 3 times.  I really need to improve my dips.

Click HERE to see my cousin on his max weighted Dip of 160lb.

We also worked on our squatting form and have spent a lot of time with our noses in "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe.  If you are unfamiliar with this book and you workout in any fashion then that needs to change immediately if not sooner.  Don't even finish reading this blog entry, instead go BUY THIS BOOK!  It's that important to your lifting.  Most likely you are doing your squat, deadlift, bench press, shoulder press, and cleans without proper form.  Those 
are some of the most important lifts there are and you need to master your form with them.  Especially the squat and deadlift.  Work hard on these lifts.  Don't just take it from me either.  I'm simply repeating the same thing I've heard the Crossfit Gurus preach.  I've really made some quality improvement in my form since going to Brand X a few weeks ago and I'm very excited about it, if that was obvious to you.

After lunch we went to a friend's house and farted around in the pool for about 2.5 hours.  Most notably was the 2 on 2 waterpolo version of football we played in the pool which did not include any silly rules like pass interference, holding, or roughing the passer....which means it was anything goes.  There was a lot of jockeying for position, dunking, wrestling and near UFC fighting in the pool during the game which really wiped us out.  A good reminder of how good of shape water polo guys have to be in.  

Then in the PM we did 20 rep squats.  I did 165lbs x 20.  

Slowly starting my march upwards with 20 rep squats.  It was encouraging to hear that Jerrod started out a few months ago at 185 x 20 and tonight did 250 x 20.  Looks like I have nowhere to go but up.

No comments: